Friday, January 2, 2009

Christmas 2008

What a great Christmas we had!  We stuck around here for Christmas day which was a nice change from the usual traveling we do this time of year.  My entire family came to Michigan this year to celebrate.  We had a fabulous time and I'm sad it's over!  I also convinced my sister, Erin, to come a few days early and spend Christmas Day with us.  We had so much fun hanging out with the kids and shopping and going to the movies and working on crafts....my kids are so lucky to have an auntie that loves them so much!   I'm lucky too cause she helps me out so much when she's here!  It's like a little mini vacation when someone's here to help with the chaos to being home with two kids.  Anyway, we made some delicious steaks for Christmas Eve and had a nice quiet dinner with the kids.  Then Miles decided to crank up some Christmas tunes and sing and play the air guitar....well actually the wrapping paper tube guitar. What a funny kid!  


Then we put out cookies and milk for Santa and apples for the reindeer!


The kids were totally geeked about Santa coming when they went to sleep, but by the morning they were clueless.  I was a little afraid we'd wake up to a mound of wrapping paper and the kids in a sugar coma, but they slept in until 8:15am and hardly even remembered what day it was.  I asked them if they knew what day it was and they asked "Is it Saturday?" I asked if they knew who came last night and they were oblivious. Finally, I asked if they knew of anyone who wears a red suit and has a white beard and that seemed to trigger their memory....it was about time!  We ran downstairs and they opened their gifts. I was kind of afraid that the kids would be disappointed because we didn't go crazy this year on gifts, but they couldn't have been happier!  It was so much fun to see the looks on their cute little faces when they opened their gifts!  





After opening gifts, we went to Mike's parents for the day and had a great time hanging out and playing games with his family.  

On the 27th, we had our good friends Maggie Walker and Sammy Bean (Jordan had to work....bummer!) and Kate and Adrian Klemme over for lunch.  It was so great to see them and for Mike and Kate to reminisce about their high school days. We really enjoyed meeting Adrian for the first time and seeing Kate's cute little baby bump!

The rest of my family came into town on the 27th, which was great cause it felt like Christmas was stretched out for a few more days.  My sister, Jen, and her family hadn't been to our new house yet so it was nice to finally have them over in our neck of the woods.  All the cousins and the adults had a great time with each other!  We celebrated Christmas on Sunday with my mom's potato soup and then just enjoyed a nice relaxing week of scrumptious food and good quality family time!  We all gave my dad a Nintendo Wii for Christmas so we played that pretty much nonstop for the rest of the week when the girls weren't cooking or making crafts and the guys weren't working on mudding and taping our basement.  I had a Wii age of 73 the first day (yeah, I know....that sucks!) but improved to 36 by the next day after getting used to using the remote.  I didn't get around to testing my age the last few days because I was sucked into doing a 2000 piece puzzle with about 50 different snowmen on it and about a thousand different patterns of plaid that my mom brought along.  It was a beast but we finally finished it last night!  

For New Year's we had Mike parents and sisters, Tiff and Beth, over for prime rib. As always it was delicious and we had a blast playing the Wii, doing the puzzle and ringing in the New Year!  I'm so lucky to have two wonderful families that enjoy spending time together!  On New Year's Day, we celebrated my brother-in-law, Joel's, birthday (he's actually a Christmas baby!) by going out to lunch at BD's Mongolian BBQ....yum!   

All in all, it was a wonderful Christmas!  My family left this morning and it seems like time just flew by too fast!  Why is vacation always like that?! Anyway, I'm so grateful for my family!  I'm so glad they could come and spend time with us here in Michigan!  I'm so blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment