Monday, January 5, 2009

Getting back into the swing of things

Well, Mike's back to work so the holidays are officially over and we are just trying to get back to our normal routine.  I'm attempting to get the Christmas decorations put away and get the dust cleaned up that seems to be EVERYWHERE from working on the basement...okay, I'll admit there was probably a lot of dust that was there before all the sanding.  I HATE DUSTING!  The kids are busy playing "Mike and Katie" with Maizy's babies.  They crack me up.

We are also working on potty training Maizy since Santa gave her Little Mermaid and grandma gave her princess underwear for Christmas.  We had been prepping her for it for a while before Christmas telling her if Santa brought her underwear that she'd have to start wearing them instead of diapers.  She was pretty excited out opening up the underwear and I told her once we washed them she could start wearing them.  So we put her new undies on after my family left on Friday and she is doing GREAT so far!  She's only had a couple accidents (luckily no #2!) and has been really good about just going to the bathroom on her own and she doesn't require a bribe like candy or a sticker like I had to do with Miles.  I feel like with him I always had to remind him or he'd get too distracted.  She seems to have picked it up a little faster, so I'm hoping it will stick!  We've attempted twice before (once in the spring and once in the summer) but she didn't really go for it like I was hoping she would.  With the warm weather, the kids would be outside and she'd be distracted....who could blame her? So I'm hoping the third times the charm.  I've always heard of kids that potty train themselves and it seems as though I've lucked out this time with her.  I just needed to wait until she was ready, I guess.  It will be so nice to have kids out of diapers!

I am also gearing up for Mike going out of town for the next couple weeks.  He will be in Aberdeen, SD working on software for those big windmills that are popping up all over the country.  I'm so very grateful that he still has a job and still has work to do, but it's pretty much going to suck to have him gone for so long.  I guess the hotel he's staying at has a waterpark, so I wish we could go with him, but airplane tickets are about $1700 so I'm thinking that's out of the question.   Plus, Miles is in preschool so I wouldn't want to pull him out of school for too long.  He starts back up on Wednesday and as I'm sitting here listening to Maizy scream about him bugging her, I'm already getting excited for school to start again.  Sometimes they just need that break from each other.  Anyway, I guess I'm going to have to find some things to do while Mike's out of town to keep myself from going crazy!  I'm going to start right now with putting a crabby little girl down for a nap!

1 comment:

  1. Cute blog Katie!! I was so thrilled when my kids went back to school yesterday after the long break. They need time away from each other sometimes. Good luck with the potty trainning. I'm sure it will be soooo nice to have no kids in diapers!!!

    ReplyDelete